We get so wrapped up in trying to find a perfect relationship, that we forget the work involved once we are in them. This post is quite personal for me because I remind myself, daily, of the points below. I also notice that when I start slipping; taking advantage of the relationship, or not being a good version of myself, the relationship suffers. Just follow these five points and watch what happens.
- Remember they are just a human, like you. They are not perfect, which means you don’t have to be either. *relief*
- Don’t rely on your partner to be the source of everything. Yes, s/he is your most important relationship, but that doesn’t mean they have to be your everything. Still make time for family, friends, and yourself.
- Statistically, you can not always be right and the other person wrong. Try and imagine their side of the argument and see if they can, in any way, have a point. Showing the other person that you hear them, and can understand their point of view (even if you don’t agree) is the healthiest way to ‘win’ an argument.
- You can’t change a person. Acceptance is much less time and energy consuming. Try turning their ‘flaws’ into a joke. That way you can still get your point across, but in a way you both can laugh about.
- Show them your best self and be amazed at the response. When we were dating, we always had our best foot forward; but once in a relationship, it’s easy for the ego to rare its ugly head and only think about our own wants and needs. Try putting your partner first and reap the rewards.